Saturday, September 17, 2016

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

4 stars

"She did not realise that the equal and opposite reaction was this: every terrible, horrible, bitchy thing Liz had ever done had bounced back to her."


I decided this deserved a reread after not really enjoying This is Where the World Ends and I wanted to see if I still loved this one. Turns out I do. They have a lot of similarities which I'll discuss in a blog post soon (I'll link it when I post it) but for some reason I just clicked with this one more.

Liz is a destructive person, not only is she self destructive but she's destructive to those around her. To be honest, she's a bitch. If she went to my school, I'd absolutely hate her. But she doesn't and she's not real so it's a bit different. Liz has compassion and she knows what she's doing is wrong but I think she falls into the trap of peer pressure to easily. She knows she is a destructive person but she just doesn't know what to do about it. I don't agree with most if not all of the18163646 things Liz has done but I'm still really intrigued by her. Shes an interesting character and theres not a doubt about that. She isn't particularly likable but I don't think she's supposed to be.

I'm not sure how I felt about the spilt time it this one, it was a lot of back and forths. I typically like a good split time book and it was well done. I'm just not sure how I felt about it in this scenario. It reminded me of If I Stay a lot and if you've read both of these books you'll understand what I'm talking about. Car crash, going back into the past, waiting to see if victim lives. Very similar.

These book is also very dark, It tackles some very dark topics such as suicide, abortion and drug use. If you're not comfortable with that, I wouldn't go for this book but I don't have a problem with it because it's just generally what happens and it sucks. I think reading about it is interesting and eye opening. It's the sort of things I like to read about, I would never personally touch drugs or consider suicide but some do. It adds a sense of realism to books, in my opinion. This book was very real. It's also very blunt, it doesn't hide the bitter truth in metaphors or anything. You probably won't see many quotes from this book in the Instagram bio of a teenager because it's not sugarcoated.

This book gives me some many feelings which typically a good book always will do. It makes me think about how it would be if that were my best friend in hospital dying. It makes me think about a lot. I can't really define this book as good or bad but what I can say it's well written and you'll absolutely tear through it if you like it. I read it in only one day (and still had time to watch two episodes of GoT) which I haven't been able to do with a book in so long. I like it a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment