Saturday, January 07, 2017

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

4 stars

“I love you,” I say to him, only it comes out, “Hey.”
20820994“So damn much,” he says back, only it comes out, “Dude.”
He still won’t meet my eyes.”  

Oh my god, I feel like I say this about literally every book I've read thus far but I love this so much. I forgot how much amazingness is out there. I'll Give You The Sun is such a quirky contemporary, my favourite kind. It makes me feel so much at once, which is absolutely incredible.

I adore NoahandJude. They make me want a twin. They make me want to give birth to twins. They make me want to go back in time and shove this book under both my Mum's nose and her twin brother's nose to somehow give them this incredible relationship. I love the idea of having that sort of built in best friend kind of thing but closer than best friends. I think their relationship is wonderfully written and I love that it's one of the main focuses. I've always loved twins, I've always desperately wanted to have twins (they say it skips a generation) so to have a whole book that pretty solely focuses on the relationship between them is like my dream.

I love that the stories intertwine so beautifully. I've always admired authors who can tie up loose ends like that. J.K Rowling is a prime example of tying up loose ends but Jandy Nelson did a suburb job of it too. When I read it for the first time, it was so satisfying to see every thing tie together. It was also cool because it was done in such a way that enough information was given so you could have a guess but not enough so it wouldn't be fun.

I loved that the book followed Noah and Jude at different ages. I thought it was pretty unique and really interesting. Also, it's crucial to the story that we have both of those perspectives.

It honestly blows my mind at how well put together this whole book is. I think it will always boggle me how some peoples minds can work like this. I just want everyone to read it and not even have to like the romance or the characters, just appreciate how incredibly well put together it is and how much work must go in to a book like this. I love this book and I want to shove it under every body's noses.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book in every way! It was so incredibly unique, it was emotional and really captured every thing I look for in a contemporary as well! So happy you loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. I couldn't seem to capture all the hype the first time I read it but then I read it again and I was like wow.

      Delete