Wednesday, June 14, 2017

My Favourite OzYA Books

Recently, I started reading A #LoveOzYa Anthology and I'm loving it. I can't believe it took me so long to get it in my hands. It's reminded me about my deep love for OzYA and I just really wanted to make a list of my absolute favourites and I hope I can convince someone to pick one of them up.

The Yearbook Committee by Sarah Ayoub
This is just one of my favourite books all together. I loved it so much. It's a contemporary and the best way to describe it would be The Breakfast Club except better and so much more heartfelt. It is brilliant, I couldn't put it down from the minute I started reading. I will rave about The Yearbook Committee for the rest of my life, I swear. You will love it if you love contemporaries as much as I do.

Illuminae by Kay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman 
I feel like Illuminae is such an obvious choice but I had to put it in anyway. I really adored it. It was one of my first scifi books and it was epic. It was crazy unique and not at all what I'd expected. To be honest, I couldn't believe it wasn't written by international authors. I feel like it's a pretty big book in YA and it was just so epic. It broke a bit of a stigma I had in my own head about Aussie authors. If you haven't already picked this one up, what are you doing??

Nona and Me by Clare Atkins 
This one has a special place in my heart because it's the only book I've read with aboriginal characters. It's about a girl, Rosie who was childhood friends with Nona who comes from an aboriginal family. It's got a whole lot of culture which was great because a lot of it was new to me and it got me thinking about how I call myself Australian yet I knew next to nothing about the culture of indigenous Australians. It was such a gorgeous story of friendship and family.

My Best Friend Is  A Godess by Tara Eglington 
This was such a fun book. I thought it was really easy to relate to, it focused in on an insecurity I feel like a lot of girls have. I know I used to be incredibly insecure because my best friend was gorgeous and nice and funny and everyone really liked her and then I found out she felt the same about me. I think that comparison is something that everyone does so it was nice to have a book where I could recognise things I'd been through. I liked it a lot, it a great story of friendship.

Zac And Mia by AJ Betts
Another favourite of mine. It's about two sick kids who find a companionship. I loved it because it wasn't sugar coated and they didn't fall in love and it just was so very not The Fault In Our Stars but of course I'n not knocking TFIOS. It was just raw and real and different and I really loved it a lot. It was just such a heartfelt story and is absolutely worth the read.


No comments:

Post a Comment