Saturday, June 03, 2017

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

4 Stars

“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

17675462I liked this. I have a friend who adores The Raven Cycle series and I trust her opinion very much so I decided I had to read it. I have a couple small problems with it but I tend to think they're more about personal preference than anything else.

I love Gansey, he is beautiful and charming and I just love him. I would eat him up easily. I love Noah too, he is such a gorgeous soul. I wouldn't have any problems with him either. I didn't like Adam and Ronan as much. Adam was probably my least favourite, I don't know why, he just annoyed me. Ronan had his good moments though and his not so good. I'd like to see more of him and his character. I have a feeling by the way it ended, we'll be seeing plenty more of him. Which I'm excited about, I think Ronan will grow on me.

I think there were a lot of things happening which could have been an issue if it didn't all tie in so well. I loved the way it just tied in and I kept having all these little revelations. It was great, it kept me on my toes. There is nothing I love more than when things just tie in together, it is so satisfying to realise all the little ways it was all connected.

The one thing I wasn't overly pleased with was how it was written in third person. I haven't read a lot of third person books but I'm kind of torn on this. I feel like it was a necessity so we could see what everyone was doing and I liked that but also it didn't give me a chance to connect with Blue, the main character which was disappointing. It felt too much like I was watching from a far rather than perhaps, living it. I think this is something I can get over though because I can see it's purpose and there are many more positives that outweigh this.

I can't wait to keep on reading the series, it was excellent. Magical. I can't wait to see more Gansey and I'm really rooting for Blue and Gansey action. I think this book has been a great stepping stone into an even better series. I think my friend was very right about this series.

3 comments: