Monday, January 22, 2018

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

4 Stars

“This is our life. We get to decide the rules. We get to say what goes and what stays, what matters and what doesn’t.”

28458598I really like this. I'm so excited that I finally got around to reading it. It feels like such a long time coming. It was cute. It was diverse. It was funny. I don't know what more you could ask for. 

I loved Dimple. She was such a strong character and so independent. Dimple is the kind of girl I aspire to be and I think I related to her a lot. I loved that she was all for carving out her own life. I think that was a great example to set. I also adored Rishi, who was almost Dimple's polar opposite. He was so sweet and gentle. I loved seeing that in a male character. 

I loved that Dimple was into coding. I think that's something we should begin to appreciate more because it is hard. I have a father who codes and does a wonderful job of it but he does get overwhelmed by it all. The results are terrific though, always. More appreciation for coders because I am useless at it. I think it's cool to bring in a hobby that defies the gender norm a bit, and important too. I'm so glad to see all these hobbies coming into books that we don't usually see much of.

I loved the diversity, that is what initially attracted me to this book so much. I definitely don't think I've read much with Indian characters, much less Indian main characters. I would love to see more of that. I really liked that, I think Menon slipped in some interesting cultural things in the story really naturally which I enjoyed.

It was such a cute book, literally just like reading a rom-com. I adored it. I know that so many of my fluffy contemporary loving friends will also just love this. I loved the characters. I loved the story. I loved the subject matter. I just thought it was such a cute and endearingly dorky book that I think anyone who enjoys a good contemporary will just eat up. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw great review, this book sounds such a lovely read! I will have to give it a go :D your blog is so cute, following on GFC! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (I would love to follow each other on bloglovin if you like! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I still need to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete